Educational Video Game
Educational Video Game that attempts to teach the player a small part of Modern European History.
Area of Interest
Mountain View High School
The reason for this was due to the fact that the layer, the player, and the player’s collision capsule were not set to the same layer. After I created a layer and set the proper features accordingly, the player went flying off into space. At this point, I decided to reinstall and I believe this solved all the issues. After setting the same layers, and setting the proper value of gravity over the world, the player was finally not following through the world or going off into space. The animations worked and the first major part of this milestone was finally complete. The next part was to work on the camera. For this, I added a camera component and wrote a script. Everything worked except for the fact that the camera would not move on the y-axis. After many hours of searching, I finally decided to ditch the script and use the cinemation tool installed within Unity by default. I customized their camera asset until it worked the way I wanted it to(very professionally working btw). However, the camera was still not changing on the y-axis. I decided to go into the input manager and change the input from mouse movement to keys. It worked then so I thought it was an issue with my mouse but after giving the input manager a further look, it seemed that I set the axis of the input to a joystick axis rather than the Y-axis. After a quick change to the y-axis and a swap back to mouse movement, the camera finally began to move on the y-axis. At this point, my second milestone was reached however I wanted to add camera collision so that it would not clip through the walls of the church and the houses on the map. This worked for the walls and houses that had a rigidbody component and somewhat of a collision system but not for all. Nevertheless, I had hit my second milestone with only a few bugs to fix for the third milestone.
This was entirely done in unity with no external tools, assets, or any dependencies. Shortly after, I acquired the medieval interiors asset pack to decorate the insides of the church. This was the longest and most tedious part of the map development process. Using the assets took a while in the beginning but I was able to significantly decrease the time of creating the map by using the scale tool. After the church was completed, I needed the knights low poly asset pack to create the houses and castle to populate the rest of the terrain. This was where I hit my first and only roadblock. I was unable to purchase this pack from the asset store that day, consequently that day was somewhat of a waste. I tried again the following day and met success this time. After a few short hours of scaling and positioning, the map was completed and I reached my first milestone. With the map completed, the goal from here will be to add functionality to the camera, animate the characters, and begin programming the various features of the game. In my opinion, this will be the milestone in which I will learn and complete the most.