My project is the color chameleon. What it does is that it uses the color sensor that is connected to my arduino board and my neopixel LEDs and then sends the color that the color sensor is picking up to the neopixels. This was an awesome project to work on, I had a lot of fun along with a lot of frustration.
Xavier High School
For second/final milestone I have made some significant changes to my project since my first milestone. Due to the changes I made I was able to get my project fully working the was that I was intending it to. The first change that I made was that I swapped out the type of arduino that I used. The original arduino I used was the Uno but I switched to the Arduino Nano. The reason that I switched the arduino was because of the code. The code that I was using to power my color sensor wasn’t working to well with the Uno, after I switched it the color sensor started working properly. The next change that I made to my project was that I put all of it on two breadboards. Putting it on the breadboards allowed me to easily make my connections between all of my components. After I was done with switching everything out and putting everything together I ran the code. Once the code was done I put a color up to the sensor and it was able to read the RGB value and output that same value onto the neopixels. This porject was a hand full for me, to say the least. There were times were I was at a roadblock because of a simple misconnection that I made on the breadboard, and I would just sit there for hours because I was overthinking something that was so simple.
My first milestone for my main project was to try and get the neopixel LEDs to just light up. The process of how I was actually able to get them to light up was pretty frustrating. My first step was to make my connections between the neopixels and the arduino uno. I used male and female wires, and jumper cables to make the connections and send power from the board to the LEDs. The process was frustrating because I would sometimes make incorrect connections with the wires when connecting them to the board. The other somewhat frustrating things was finding code that worked on the LEDs. These LEDs are specifically made by Adafruit, so I had to go directly on their website and look for the library with the code for them. After I got past all of my obstacles I put all the pieces together and I was able to make the neopixels light up. My next step is to connect my color sensor and complete my project.
My Starter Project is the SparkFun Simon Says memory game. When you turn the game on you follow the pattern that is shown by the LED s as is gets harder. I enjoyed this project because I learned about the different electrical components and their roles, as well as how to solder.
How it works
The main component of the Simon Says is the microcontroller. The microcontroller is programmed to light up the buttons and create the game sequence. The other components include a 10K Resistor, two 0.1µF Capacitors, four LEDs, two power switches, one for sound and to turn on the game, and a buzzer. The resistor is used to reduce the circuit flow from the microcontroller to the rest of the board. The two 0.1µF Capacitors are used to temporarily store energy and then spit it back out. The four LEDs are used for the four separate colors that appear. And the last part is the buzzer. When powered on by the sound switch the buzzer will make a little noises while you play the game.