For this third milestone, my goal was to make the entire project work. After the second milestone where I had gotten the motors all running, my motors starting failing. First, the Y-axis motor wasn’t working. To fix this, I spent enormous amounts of time troubleshooting. I had to cut all the wires coming from the stepper motor to the motor driver. From that, I learned that some of my connections weren’t strong but those could not have been determined from the multimeter.
Later once the Y-axis motor started working again, the X-axis motor broke down. It broke during the very last week which tightened up my schedule. It was difficult to fix this one as the problem laid in the motor driver itself; however, I did not know that in the beginning. After many tests, I thought that the motor itself was broken so I switched out the motor. It was once I switched out the motor that I realized the motor driver was the problem, but I did not have a lot of time left. I had to try to rush through the code and connections to finish the project in time. With the help of instructors, I was able to finish everything. The code itself was relatively easy. Much of the arduino code was based on already existing code and I used an already existing gctrl program. At the end, I was able to finish everything and successfully run my project at demo night.
Modifications I have in mind for this project is to one, make it wireless and two, make it on one plane. This means that instead of installing motors perpendicular to each other, I’d instead have them on one plane so that only the pen moves instead of the pen and paper base.
Overall, this project has taught me a lot about engineering as a whole. It taught me how to work on my own and only ask for help when really necessary. In the future, I hope to do more projects like this.